Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Playing the Victim

We all know how children misbehave to get attention. We call that "attention-seeking behavior". I was reading a section in Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, and it reminded me of how often people refuse to take responsibility for themselves and their emotions. Mr. Tolle wrote: "A very common role is the one of victim, and the form of attention it seeks is sympathy or pity or others' interest in MY problems, "me and my story."

"If no one will listen to my sad story, I can tell myself in my head, over and over, and feel sorry for myself, and so have an identity as someone who is being treated unfairly by life or other people, fate or God."

Sounds pathetic, right? But we encounter people like this everyday!

My philosophy is, do what you need to do to be happy. No one has control over that except you. Life may not be fair, but at least you have the potential to make your life what you wat it to be. Ms. Erin
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments:

Post a Comment