Saturday, June 4, 2011

Learn to Live in the Present Moment (#10 in Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Workbook, by Richard Carlson)

To a large degree, the measure of our peace of mind is determined by how much we are able to live in the present. When we allow past problems and future concerns to dominate our present moments, we end up anxious, frustrated, depressed, and hopeless.

1. First, realize that in order to cherish the now, we must make peace with the past. List those things that I've done or said in the past that I still regret today. Also include regrettable things that others have done or said to me that still sting.

I know I've said mean things to people in lieu of being physically aggressive. Many of these things I do regret. Some of them I don't. I apologize when I'm truly sorry and I put it in the past. I know that words can be razor sharp and can cut a person to shreds (more than a physical blow, which can heal). I have also been told that sometimes my written words have been hurtful, even though that was not my intention. Sometimes people may misinterpret my "getting to the point" as rudeness, when it is not. I just need to be more sensitive, I suppose. Regarding regrettable things that have been done to me, I don't hold grudges anymore. When someone apologizes, I consider it over. There have been several instances where I got no apology; I don't care anymore. My philosophy is, what goes around comes around, and when it does, I won't lose sleep over what comes around.

2. Make a list of what worries me about the future. What am I afraid of?

I worry about my business being successful and I worry about my health. I'm doing everything in my power to create a successful business, and I'm taking care of my health (by eating right, exercising, and having a lot of me-time).

3. How much time do I spend worrying about problems that never come to pass?

Not a great deal of time. I think it through and pray about it. If I've done my part, I count on God to do His.

4. List things that I've been putting off until "someday".

There are so many! I put off getting a housekeeper to thoroughly clean my house. I procrastinate with most of my homework. I procrastinate with my work (doing the billing, etc). I neglect my social life.

Do I think I have control over the things in my life? For the most part, yes. That's why I get through life as a "thinker" instead of a "feeler". If I use logic, reason, and good judgment then I can get my goals accomplished.

Ms. Erin
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments:

Post a Comment