Friday, April 22, 2011

50 Introspection Questions

  1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? Now that's a brain twister! I think I'd probably be between 25 and 30. That sounds like a good age. I believe that by the time i got to that age range there was a pretty good level of maturity and wisdom.
  2. Which is worse, failing or never trying? Never trying is the worse. I don't mind failing when I realize that it's part of the success process. Failure has to happen for learning purposes. If a person is too afraid of failure, and therefore does not make an effort, what kind of life is that? I like challenge.
  3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do? Again, it's all about the learning process. For example, a lot of healthy foods may not be a delicious as a fat cheeseburger or a thick, greasy pizza with extra cheese. But when we want good health, we substitute the good stuff for hi fiber and low fat. And what if there's a lab report from the doctor saying that the cholesterol is high or the blood sugar levels are high? Again, if we use good reasoning and judgment, we opt for the oatmeal and soy milk. Regarding the latter part of the question, I believe that a lot of us don't do many things we like because we live in a fast paced world. There never seems to be enough time!
  4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done? Absolutely not. I set attainable goals and make every effort to meet them. I'm a doer, not a talker.
  5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world? I'd like to make education the highest priority. If that's done, everything else will fall into place.
  6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich? I like what I do now---being a mental health provider.
  7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing? I'm doing what I believe in for the most part. Regarding the level of pay, I'm settling. Not for long, though. That's what the PhD will take care of!
  8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently? I think I'd have more fun.
  9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken? Perhaps 70-85%. The course my life has taken is primarily based on the decisions I've made (good and bad). Of course there are things that I have no control over, like natural disasters and world events. These things influence decisions.
  10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?  I'm not worried about either. I like to make sure that what I do is correct. I also like to do the right thing according to my conscience. It depends on the situation.
  11. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do?  I'll make a comment about how I don't want to be at a luncheon with a bunch of negative gossiping people. I hate gossip. I'll either do that or let that be my cue to leave.
  12. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?  Get your education!
  13. Would you break the law to save a loved one?  If I'm saving the person's life, probably. There are laws that provide for extinuating circumstances. If it's just about saving someone from getting into trouble, no. That's on them and I want no part of it.
  14. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?  Interesting question for a person in the mental health field. There are times when I see behaviors that appear to be "crazy" but really it's about perspective. Most of the people diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar Disorders fit into this catagory.
  15. What’s something you know you do differently than most people? I know that I see people differently. For example, when others are judging, I'm evaluating and assessing.
  16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?  What makes me most happy is "me-time", time alone. There are a lot of people who fear being alone. I love it.
  17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do?  What’s holding you back?  I want to run a half marathon and I want mt PhD. I'm in the process of doing both. I'm sure that as time goes on, there will be other challenges I want to tackle.
  18. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?  I don't think so. Not anymore. What's the point? I'm happy now and I wouldn't be happy if I was still holding grudges.
  19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why? I think about moving to Vermont or one of the other New England states. It looks beautiful up there and the views up there seem less conservative than in Texas. I also would not mind living in Europe. People there seem so carefree. They slow down to enjoy life. Europeans also seem to be more libral than we are.
  20. Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?  I've never thought about that. I only push it once and assume that it's working properly if the door closes. I have seen people impatiently jamming their finger into the button as if the destination will arrive sooner. It reminds me of when I'm driving and an idiot speeds around me, racing to a red light. What a putz!
The rest of the questions will be answered in other posts.  Check out some of these books on introspection.
                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                  

















                                                                                                           














                                                                   
















My favorite is                           

No comments:

Post a Comment