Friday, April 22, 2011

Paying your Own Way---What's Wrong With That?

Calculate the average cost of a pack of cigarettes ($5.51) and multiply that times 30, assuming that a smoker smokes a pack a day: $165.00.

Calculate the average cost of one combo fast food meal ($4-$7). Multiply that times 30, assuming that a person only eats one fast food meal per day for a month: $120-$210.

Calculate the number of calories in the average fast food meal (550) and multiply that times 3, assuming that 550 is the number of calories you eat for each meal per day: 1650. This is not counting all the snacks, sodas, and extra meals during the day. It's not counting the amount of fat, salt, and sugar in each meal.

We already know that eating unhealthy foods and smoking contribute to poor health (type II diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, etc).

So my question is: Why should a healthy person pay the same amount for insurance premiums as an unhealthy person? I'm not talking about people who have legitimate, genetic health conditions. I'm talking about people who are deliberately taking risks. Why should any of these people qualify for Medicaid or any other public assistance when they can afford to smoke and eat out?

I believe that if a person is at a healthy weight, does not smoke, does not consume too much alcohol, and exercises regularly, he/she should have some sort of health care discounts. Those who are making themselves sick should pay their own way. Why should that be a burden on the tax payers?

I'm not professing to be a political expert, but there has to be a way to get this fixed. There are millions of people milking the system because that's what we allow. This goes for the Social Security Administration and Medicaid.

Call me selfish, but I don't want to pay for anyone except myself! I work hard, I make efforts to be healthy, and I pay taxes. I don't want to keep contributing to the SSI system for people who have these so-called "disabilities". I don't want to keep paying for unemployed and/or unhealthy people to be on Medicaid. I want to pay my own way and I expect for other people to do the same.

Ms. Erin

4 comments:

  1. You know how I feel about this. If you would be considered selfish, I would be the captain of that ship! There are too many people draining the system just because they can. I believe fully in charity, but baby momma w/ 8 misc. baby daddy @ age 23; Tyrone getting food stamps & selling them; Big Smokin' Shirley @ 413 lbs smoking 2 pks a day & blowing her 2nd hand in my face....tics me OFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It irritates me to stand in line behind someone at the grocery store who has several boxes of cigarettes and piles of candy and junk food but then they "pay" for their real food with food stamps.

    I am not opposed to people getting help, but I do not like it when there are people who abuse and live off the system.
    -Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to America. You should see the Afghans who are walking around picking food up off the street to eat. They have NO health care. But then there are those here who have all the money they want with easy access to convenient and professional health care. But they don't share their wealth. They essentially kick the poor and in some cases ignorant peasants to the curb. Is that what you would rather have? When is the last time you were in our nation’s capital or Atlanta, GA? Two of the top homeless populations in the country. They smoke and drink and buy food with food stamps. What shall we do with them? Kick them aside because I don’t care about them? What happened to humanity? More and more humans lose sight of how much better coming together and working together is greater for all than “taking care of number one.” It’s harder, by far, to reach out that is certainly true. But that is what needs to be done. Humanity has kicked aside these poor and, again in many cases, ignorant fellow human beings to the point that the government tries to do at least something. Now we complain about that.
    The biggest pet peeve that I have is people who are so easy to criticize yet offer no solution. If I learned anything in my 19 years in the military it is to bring two or three proposed solutions to any table on which you present a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do understand all about humanity, however I can't afford to be humane, if it means that I continue working my ass off and essentially giving away what I earn. I don't profess to be a politician, nor do I think I have all the answers. My point was that there are miliions of people who take advantage of the system. What about those people having some humanity for those who work hard? I know what it's like to be poor/have nothing. I came from a family who had a lot, but when I left, I was on my own. There were many times when I went to bed hungry. There were times when I had no money to pay bills. There were times when I needed medical attention and had no insurance. Did I whine and cry and blame the system? No! I got up and pulled myself out of that misery. I didn't scam anyone or beg on the streets. I utilized the resources available to me and became successful. I don't feel sorry for people who refuse to do that. And, yes, it makes me mad when I realize that my tax dollars go to people who scam the system. It upsets me to stand in line behind someone who has $300.00 worth of food stamps (wearing nice jewelry and designer clothes), when I have to budget my money to buy food every week. I hate to hear about all these "poor" people who have large flat screen TVs and Play Stations. I don't have that because I can't afford it! So regarding my criticism of this and failure to offer a solution, I don't need to offer any solutions. I'm honest and hard-working. There should already be guidelines and policies in place to protect people like me.

    ReplyDelete