Friday, April 1, 2011

Getting my PhD (Finally)!!

I'm looking forward to starting the PhD program (online) at Capella University. I start in a few weeks. I'll be getting a PhD in General Advanced Studies in Human Behavior. My graduate transcript is being reviewed so that much of my master's degree hours will count. I've got to get the orientation done within the next week, so I'll be ready.

If anyone is interested in furthering their education, check out http://www.capella.edu/. UTSA also has some new programs, so check them out too http://utsa.edu/graduate/

I was going to attend UTSA for a PhD in Counseling and Supervision, but I'd have to wait until next year to start. I decided to get into a more flexible program, that has several admission deadline dates, and an online program. I'll still be very connected with UTSA as a mentor and as part of the Alumni Association. Who knows, after I get my PhD, I may become part of the UTSA faculty!

The benefits of having a PhD in my field:

  • I've always wanted to get my PhD, so personal fulfillment/achievement
  • Getting back into school for an advanced degree will help keep me on my toes with my practice
  • I'll be able to earn more money in my field (doing less work)
  • I'll be able to teach on the college level, which is where I want to teach vs. a public school
  • Doing classes online helps with time management and discipline
  • Getting a degree in this field will open up a whole lot of doors---networking
  • I will finally be called "Doctor Alexander", or "Doctor Erin" !!!!
Take care---Ms. Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment