Sunday, February 20, 2011

Further Reflection from The Path of the Pearl

Nucleus

Have I ever used a personal experience as the starting place for creative expression, such as painting, or a piece of writing?

I've had a lot of experiences I life, negative and positive. Writing has always been an outlet for me. I love writing. I'm working on a book now (but not sure about having it published---it's a little risque, ha, ha). But seriously, I used to write short stories many years ago and had hundreds of them. I also used to paint and draw when I was in junior high and  high school. My writing reflects other parts of me sort of, possibly that are suppressed most of the time. It also allows me to go to other places, be around other people, do things that I can't, and have fun. It's another life. For example, I've always wanted to go to Ireland and Australia, so I try to incorporate that in a story some how. I know that I'm a reserved, introverted person, so my "heroines" are not. I don't paint anymore, but I give my brother the ideas for the paintings I want. I visualize what I want in writing and he's the artist. He's doing a series of female beauty for me. I have one called "Serena", which captures the essence of a woman peacefully sleeping. The second one is called, "Marina", which is my version of the "Birth of Venus". The next one I want to be a fiery red-head, who will represent either the goddess of light (Thea) or the arising dawn (Aurora).

Layering

Where was my creativity born? Did someone in my family influence me through his/her talents, or encourage me to develop mine?

There are quite a few talented, creative people in my family. My father is a very gifted writer and speaker. I remember when I was a child, the only reason I liked attending church was to hear him speak. It was so eloquent. Sometimes, I would even watch him prepare his speeches for the congregation. He always encouraged us to do well in school, especially in reading and writing. He teaches at a university now and is also writing a book. I have a cousin who writes poetry, one who is a clothing designer, an uncle who is a doctor, a brother who is a painter, a sister who plays three musical instruments, another brother who also plays music. Interestingly, all of us can sing too, parents included. Most of my extended family is talented (right-brained talent), but it's hard to list all of them. I don't know where it all came from except God; I'm thankful to Him for that.

Is there a creative field I have always been attracted to but never dared to try? Acting? Singing? Can I find and encouraging outlet for that energy?

Ha, ha, ha!! I've always dreamed/fantasized of singing jazz in a night club. I have an OK voice, but I'm too shy to sing or speak in front of people. Imagine that, I picked a career where I have to speak in front of people, but I'm too shy.

Awareness/Beauty

If life is a dance, what am I dancing? A tango? A waltz?

I would say that most of my life I've been dancing a Waltz because of the steps being taken forward, backward, side. Life goes in different directions. However, there's been a little Rumba and Samba in there!! As my happiness increases, my life is feeling more like the Quickstep and the Lindy Hop! I'm OK with that!

Which colors make me feel beautiful, strong, powerful, intelligent, and happy? how do I respond to color in art?

I'd say that royal blue is my beautiful color. Black is my color of intelligence and strength. Reds and purples feel powerful to me. Green and melon make me feel happy. When I see colors in art, that's what draws me, not the content of the painting. I especially like rich reds, sharp blues, and fiery oranges. I also like the absence of color---black and white, with the contrast of red. One painting I want to commission is two swans mating, one black and one white, with a muted blue/green backdrop. The two contrasting points of the painting will be the beaks of the swans (one red one yellow). Heavenly.

Ms. Erin

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not, I read the whole thing LOL!!! Saw "creativity" & "painting" and couldn't resist! These are things I did but didn't know (if that makes sense). I love and respect your recognition & direction that God gave each & every person talents to do more than just sit on. If only every person would put forth effort & patience in harnessing that/those gifts, they can actually amaze themselves in the comfort it brings. I'm inspired ;)

    ReplyDelete