Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Path of the Pearl----- Ms Erin's Journey

Wonderful book by Mary Olsen Kelly, where the author actively involves the reader in facing challenges of life by means of introspection. Each chapter ends with the Pearls of Wisdom. It is further dissected into reflective parts of the Pearl----the Nucleus, the Layering, and then the Awareness/Beauty.

Pearls of Wisdom:  The Smaller Vessel More Easily Overflows. In a tiny oyster, a small pearl will still look big. Put the same pearl in a large oyster, and it will appear to shrink. This also happens with our lives.

Nucleus: Was there ever a time in my life where I felt so insecure that I lost sight of the importance of loving and giving to others? Many times, probably hundreds!

Have you ever withheld love from yourself? Did something suddenly make you notice that you were needlessly punishing yourself? Of course, I've beat myself up about things in the past and held on to the belief that I deserved the self hatred. I've learned over the years that I don't deserve to be punished by anyone including myself. I love me too much to be punished.

Layering: Focus not on my physical size but on the size of my hopes, dreams, and goals. how big is my vision for my life? Huge but attainable. I don't think I'm grandiose, it's just based on the abilities I have and the determination to achieve.

How large is your passion for living and giving? How do others benefit from the capacity of your loving generosity? There have been times where there has been no luster in my life, but right now I love life. I find it full of ups and downs and challenges I want to tackle. I enjoy giving to others, especially those close to me. The profession I chose allows me to give people the unconditional positive regard and unjudgemental compassion they need during times of emotional crisis.

Awareness and Beauty: How big is my inner self? I guess that would depend on the definition of inner self. If it's the soul or the spiritual part of oneself, then I would say that mine is in a constant state of metamorphosis. I don't think anyone could expect to get through life without changing the inner self, anymore than one could without changing physically.

What are some examples in my life of important things and important people, that may have been either very small or very large? How significant was their size? I don't care much about superficial qualities in people, nor do I care much for superficial people in general. People who have had the most influence in my life have had these qualities that I find important: honesty,  a sense of justice, wisdom, success, trustworthiness, and loyalty.

This was my Pearl for the day!  Ms Erin

1 comment: