Friday, February 18, 2011

The Identity of A Psychotherapist...continued

I saw this program once, called "Have A Different Spirit".  I found it interesting and humorous how Joel Osteen compared people to thermostats and thermometers. I would have never thought of that, but it's true. We've all heard of how negativity breeds more negativity, and how misery like company, and how if one has a poor self-efficacy, he/she will not do well in life.   

Well, I'm a firm believer in avoiding negative people, places, comments, etc.  I've grown tired of that in my life and found it to be depressing and non-productive. Even from Biblical times, people had challenges but were determined to overcome them, rather than wallow in misery and defeat.  Caleb and his descendants made it into the promised land because he had faith and determination;  Job was able to regain all of his wealth because of his spirit and faith; David defeated Goliath because he believed in himself, not the negative comments of his family.

I think that all of these people were thermostats; they were uplifting and positive----able to change the atmosphere around them, eventually becoming successful and becoming role models for others. I like that and I endeavor to be like that as I get older. It feels good inside to be a thermostat.  Set the tone.

Many folks are just the opposite; they're the thermometer-type. They don't have joy or victory to rub off on anyone else. They don't change anything in the atmosphere, they feed off what's in the room. They're addicted to and surrounded by chaos and drama, horror, helplessness, and fear.  Just writing all of that in a sentence makes me anxious!  I don't understand how people can live that way; complaining all the time,  focusing on the ugliness of life.  And then there are those who are attracted to the same groups of people who like all of this stuff.  I'm trying to imagine being in a room full of those people.  I think I'd become an alcoholic or have perpetual anxiety attacks!

Whew!!

Remember---Be happy , celebrate the life you were given.  Hang around others that feel the same way so that your joys and victories will be encouraged.  Ms. Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment