Monday, February 21, 2011

Path of the Pearl----- Ms Erin's Journey (cont)

Mary Olsen Kelly uses the life of the pearl as a metaphor for human life. I like the way she designed the introspective exercises in the book, so I'm going to use them on my journey. 

PEARLS OF WISDOM: TO LOVE IS TO BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF

Nucleus

Do I balance my attention to my physical appearance with my attention to my inner qualities?  Not really. Not anymore. When I was younger, I thought physical appearance was more important. I worked out so much that it became unhealthy. I was obsessed with it. However, physical beauty I've never cared about. I've never worn much make-up, primarily because I'm too lazy to deal with that. The only time I care about dressing up is if there's a very, very special occasion. I do spend more time developing my inner qualities. Over the years, I've become more patient and more forgiving. I don't make a big deal out of things like I used to. I'm more at peace.

Do I judge myself now based on an earlier self-image I still hold in my mind?  
Sometimes. I think a lot about what I looked like in college. Back then was the time I was immature and unrealistic about a lot of things.  

Layering

What have I done to help myself to appreciate my positive qualities, physical and otherwise, in the same way that I appreciate those qualities in others?  Being around positive people helps me focus on appreciating my own attributes. I like to meditate, pray, and read self-discovery books. All of this helps me to keep a positive frame of mind with regards to myself and others.

Have I developed a strategy to boost my confidence when I need it? Could I perhaps focus on the parts of myself I always feel good about?  When I need confidence, I talk to one or two of my friends, or one of my siblings. I also focus on areas of my life where I've had success because those are achievements that can never be taken away.

Awareness and Beauty

Do I remember to demonstrate my self-love? How can I reward myself? What will make me feel special---a facial, a massage, a pedicure, an art class, a shopping spree?  Wow, now that's a loaded question! I do a whole lot to demonstrate my self-love! Lots and lots of ME-time. Sometimes it's a pedicure (because having nice feet is an absolute must), and sometimes it's buying myself something that I really want. If I don't love me, who will?? Lol!!

I'm very kind to myself, I'm free, I'm happy....Ms Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment