Friday, February 25, 2011

More Paths and More Pearls

According to the author, practicing forgiveness is a way to release old pain and free oneself. It allows a person to become more free to reach potential. It also means that one does not have a desire to punish anyone.                   
PEARLS OF WISDOM: THERE IS NO GREATER POWER THAN FORGIVENESS.

Nucleus

What relationships have challenged me in my life? Which have caused me pain? There have been several challenging relationships in the past and there are some that continue now. Of course there have been painful things that have occurred in relationships. A Blog is probably not the place to get too personal about such things. This whole topic will be sensitive. 

Can I think of anyone in my life who reflects parts of myself I don't care for? Can I find a way to view those attributes (in myself and in the other person) with respect and compassion?  I'm bothered sometimes when confronted by people who remind me of how "cold-hearted" I am. I'm sure that I minimize  my lack of sensitivity sometimes, but I have had situations where others tell me about it and that isn't pleasant to hear. Can I view that "attribute" with respect and compassion? No! It's not an attribute to be insensitive.

Layering

Have I ever worked through a difficult connection with someone and ultimately gained deeper respect for that person or even made friends?  Yes.

How have I worked to improve my relationships?  Over the years, I've made more effort to be more sensitive, more open, more empathetic, and not just related to my job as a therapist. I've come to understand that in reality, it's very selfish of me to isolate myself all the time. I have social contributions, and I must stop acting as if others are a bother and all of my time is "ME-time".

Which people in my life most define me?  My sister, Erika, definitely keeps me in check. She probably knows me better than anyone on the planet. We're not just sisters, we're friends. My other siblings (Caria, Keenan, and Javan), all help to balance me because we're soooooo different. Then I have a few very close friends who know me well and won't tell me what I want to hear (Rhonda, Janie, Brent, Marian, Mari). There are a few others, but I think these are the people who have had the most impact over the last several years.

Awareness and Beauty

What gifts have come to me as a result of my relationships?  I've developed patience, insight, and wisdom. I've also developed the precious gift of friendship which is priceless.

Have painful relationships also had loving elements or helped me grow in some way?  In painful relationships there has also been loving elements. I've chosen to remember the pleasant, loving aspects of those relationships rather than focusing on the negative. What's the point?

Friends and associates add luster to our lives. What can I change when I feel my luster is dull?  When the luster dulls for me, I do want to be uplifted by my friends and siblings. Many times I'm so closed off, I don't say anything, so none of them have any idea that I'm "suffereing". I can improve things if I would just speak up, ask for help, and accept the love/support.

  Ms. Erin 

No comments:

Post a Comment