Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Weight Loss Journey

OK, so I just disclosed that I'm on a weight loss program (lost 33 pounds since the beginning of February 2011). When all of this began, all I wanted to have was a registered dietitian and an exercise regimen. But guess what? My insurance would not cover any of that! Can You believe it? So, I surfed the web and discovered that my insurance company DID cover any form of gastric surgery combined with a dietary and education program. Drastic, right?

The 3 types of gastric surgery (there may be more). I had the gastric sleeve, where 75% of my stomach was removed. Yep, that's right---75%!!  Now my stomach looks like a small banana.

I've gradually increased my range of foods. The first week was clear liquid (sugar-free jello, broth, waters, and sugar-free popcicles). Delicious, right? Believe me, for the first couple of days, I didn't even want that. However it is ESSENTIAL to het fluids in the body, at least 64 ounces per day. I didn't realize how hard that would be with a small stomach!

I cannot drink fluids before, during or after meals because fluids fill up my stomach. I eat tiny meals about 4-5 times a day, and I have to get about 60 grams of protein per day. That's hard too, considering that I can only put a couple of ounces of food in my stomach. I drink fluids all day and I take vitamins (and will for the rest of my life). I'm at the stage where I'm sort of experimenting with foods that I used to be able to eat. These are the foods that bother me now:

  • fresh veggies (can only eat well cooked along with protein)
  • fried foods
  • a lot of sweets (makes me experience diabetes symptoms--frequent urination, thirst, dizziness)
  • fast food because of the artificial stuff, fat, etc.
  • alcohol (boo hoo); I can now consume a few sips of wine and I feel tipsy (remember, the alcohol goes straight to the bloodstream now)
  • beef is a little difficult to swallow/digest
  • spicy food cause indigestion---bad
  • starches, breads without protein does the same thing as sweets

When/if I happen to drink fluids before or during meals, or if my stomach gets too full, I vomit (really it's like a baby spitting up)


What I eat a lot of now:

  • yogurt
  • string cheese
  • eggs (Eggland's Best)
  • all types of fish and seafood
  • chicken
  • cooked veggies (I love mixed greens)
  • all types of beans
  • shredded wheat
  • hi protein low fat milk (Mootopia0
  • water, water, water
  • green tea, oolong tea, mint tea, and other herbal teas
  • almonds with meals
  • snack crackers with my tuna or chicken salad

Things I eat but not a lot of:

  • hot cereal
  • fruits
  • hi protein bread
  • sausage
  • peanut butter (with crackers only)
  • French toast (hi protein bread and Eggland's Best eggs)
  • coffee with, of course half-n-half and no sugar

My exercise includes some walking, infrequent Tae Bo, boxing with my bean bag, yoga.

You know what my favorite channel is now? The Food Network. Maybe I'm just torturing myself! Lol!

Check this out: I no longer take medications for migraines or for hi blood pressure. I don't take anything at all, except the vitamins. I feel great! I pay close attention to food labels, and I read all kinds of books on vitamins/minerals. I'm trying to use organic foods when possible. I've never liked or been able to tolerate artificial sweeteners, so I use organic raw sugar or Truvia. Both are VERY expensive.

So, what are the other positives? I'll be a cheap date from now on!! All I have to do now is eat a few spoons off someone else's plate! I can't really drink anymore. 

If you ever decide to do this, remember you'll have to "diet" before the surgery to make sure you can settle into your new lifestyle. I had mine done at NE Baptist at the Texas Center for Medical/Surgical Weight Loss. Their site is http://www.texasbariatric.com/  I think it's a good investment. All I paid was the doctor/surgeon fee (about $300), and I now have my 20% of the hospital bill which is around $1200. Not bad at all!  I have to have lab work every month or so and I have support groups available every month.

So what do you think?

Ms. Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment