Monday, March 28, 2011

Speaking English

I know that this post may be sensitive to some people. We all have opinions and should respect (not neccesarily agree with) others' ideas.

Immigration to our country is a major source of population growth here.  The whole topic of immigration tends to cause controversy. For example, immigration and learning English.

I've always had a strong opinion about immigrants coming to the United States and not learning English. If people are coming here to live the American Dream, then people should speak English. Simple.

It does't matter what country a person is coming from, learning English, learning the laws, and learning US history, should be required within about two years of entering the country. This should be enforced on all levels of government.

People who have not completed the program should not have the same benefits or special considerations as someone who has become a citizen. The ability to gain access to state/federal resources, well, that should be the incentive.

It seems like the immigration laws already have some of this outlined, but it's not being enforced. So what good does it do to have the law if it's not going to be enforced?

I've met some truly inspiring immigrant families (some from the Ukraine, a couple from Africa, and a family from Korea).  Almost all of them spoke English before coming to the U.S. Those who didn't, learned it upon arrival. Most of the people I know came to America to enhance their ability to make their dreams come true. Like so many centuries ago, people from other countries still come here for the 'American Dream'.

Some of them came here to further education. Some came because of civil unrest in their country. Some came to start businesses. Regardless of why they came, these amazing people started with nothing and have achieved more than they expected to. While they do still hold on to their own cultural standards, they are certainly proud to be American Citizens.  I'm proud of them too.

It disturbs me when I'm approached by someone and asked if I speak Spanish. My immediate thoughts are, 'Why don't you speak English? Why do I have to accommodate you?' I can't imagine going to another country and rudely asking a native if he/she speaks English! I won't travel to another country without learning some of the language and learning about the culture. I most certainly would never permanantly move to another country without becoming a citizen. I'd have an interest in belonging and making my life easier to succeed.

I know that sounds mean, and there's no intent to hurt anyone's feelings. But think about it: If I have to learn Spanish (or any other language), the cost of that comes out of my pocket. It would take up time and energy that I don't have. Why would I do that to myself? I live in an English-speaking country.

I don't think foreign language should be a requirement in high school or college. It should just be an elective----we should have a wide array of choices (French, Chinese, German, Arabic, Spanish, Japanese, etc.). When counselors and advisors see kids about their semester schedules, there should already be some sort of career plan. By the time a student gets to high school, most of the classes should be geared towards a career of interest. We need to get rid of the 'cookie cutter' curriculum anyway. 

Just being honest! Ms. Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment